Rocks, Minerals & Fossils
K – 7th Grade
Earth is home to numerous rocks, minerals and fossils. Formations and fossils help us learn how the earth has developed. Our educators share examples found to bring the earth’s highlights into a great learning environment for your students.
Teachers may select up to 4 of the following below creative learning stations, or combine activities from another field trip with this topic.
- Learn the laws of geology while creating a simulated sedimentary rock formation complete with fossils, earthquakes and volcanoes.
- Associate modern animals with actual fossil remains and casts.
- Observe the differences between sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks using the rock cycle.
- Classify common minerals using scientific geological techniques at our mineral station.
- Assemble a geological cross-section of sedimentary rock layers simulated with different foods in our children’s cooking area.
- Watch sedimentary rock layers change into an edible igneous rock.
- Learn the history of the gold rush and then pan for rocks, minerals and fossils at our panning stream. Each student can select 3 artifacts to take home from their field trip.